Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Hoya wayetii bloom.

This is the first Bloom of our Hoya Wayetii just starting to open. It's a very striking little flower, I really like this Hoya even when not flowering, it has such beautiful foliage with dark outline on the edge of the leaves, a great plant for a hanging pot or basket. It's vigilance time at the moment lots of aphids and caterpillars on the prowl, so it's regular inspections before they do to much damage. Just one of the little downsides of growing Hoyas outdoors I suppose.

5 comments:

EpiForums said...

Lovely blooms. Is there a pic of the foliage so I can see what you are describing?

roybe said...

Hi epi, there is a shot of Hoya wayetii foliage further down No.25 in my hoya list. just click on for a larger view. In answer to your other question about pollenation, I was talking to someone recently who said that in human intervention they use a horse hair, I don't know how true it is. Thanks for visiting.

EpiForums said...

Roybe, just saw your picture of the foliage. Is that the natural coloring of it, or is it a result of much sunlight? BTW, I have heard that wayetti and kentiana are the same. But yet the blooms you have don't look like kentiana blooms. The foliage shape looks similar. Hmmmm

roybe said...

Yes it did get more sunlight. Kentiana and wayetii are definately different. wayetii has wider leaves. I've actually got both. I'll take a shot of kentiana when it flowers.

EpiForums said...

Thanks Roy, Hilary just pointed me to your flickr photo of wayetti with the bloom more reflexed, which resembled more like kentiana. Thanks for the helping with the clarification.